This year 2019, was the 49th annual Lexington Environmental Awards ceremony. The event awarded 14 environmentally focused people and their projects which have been completed in the city of Lexington in recent years.
Each year the LFUCG Environmental Commission takes nominations for these awards. Year 2020 will be the 50th event! If you are aware of an environmental project or environmental advocate, include your nomination in next year’s pot of nominees.
Awards went to:
- Kentucky Master Naturalist Program (Dr. Carmen Agouridis/Ellen Crocker)
- Family Care Center gardens (Tee Bergman)
- UK Horticulture (Shari Dutton)
- Gardenside Park restoration project (Gardenside Neighborhood Association)
- Richmond Rd stream restoration (Kentucky American Water)
- Helix parking garage water quality improvement (Lexington Parking Authority)
- St. Michael’s Episcopal Church gardens (Beate Popkin)
- Redwood Cooperative School rain garden project
- Solar power efforts in Fayette Co (Solarize Lexington)
- Tree planting at African cemetery #2 (Town Branch Tree Experts)
- Pocket nurseries project (Trees Lexington)
- Community garden at St. Paul Catholic Church (Simon Wethington)
- Raven Run pollination education projects (Anna Wiker)
EARTHeim created the center pieces to decorate the tables at the event with native plants grown by EARTHeim.