I recently went to a potluck and saw someone bring a pie wrapped up in a pie carrying tote! I thought that was pretty nifty type of tote to carry a pie! This makes a nice holiday gift, especially if you brought a pie with it!
Finished Size 16″X16″
- 1/2 yard each of two contrasting fabrics
- 2-1.5″ diameter metal rings
- 1/2 yard or scraps of quilt batting
- Wash and iron your fabrics
- Cut an 18″X18″ square of each fabric
- Cut two 3″X22″ strips for the handle
- Cut pieces of quilt batting, one 18″ square, and one 3″x22″ strip
- Lay square cotton pieces right sides together. Place quilt batting on top. Do the same for the strap.
- Sew all sides together of the 2 pieces, leaving a big enough hole to turn fabric to right side out.
- *Check to see if you need to trim cotton strap to size.
- Sew holes closed. Press.
- Sew a 1/4″ seam around the whole edge of the square and the strap.
- Quilt the square piece with a pattern you like. I simply sewed an X from corner to corner.
- Attach metal rings at 2 opposite diagonal corners by turning corner over ring and stitching down.
- For the other diagonal corners, attach cotton strap, one strap edge to each corner.
- To use, place pie under strap, centered on square. Fold the metal ring corners over the pie and over lap rings. Thread strap through the rings, which makes a loop handle.